Site of Orangery, Compton Verney Estate
The site of an orangery which was built in 1769 and is marked on an estate map of 1818. It also featured in the 18th October 1913 edition of 'Country Life', but it is no longer standing. It was situated within the grounds of Compton Verney House.
1 Site of a former orangery that may have been designed by either Robert Adam or Capability Brown. Erected in late 18th century. The orangery was situated 120m north west of the manor house.
2 Work began in 1769 according to a transaction for building stone for this purpose; the mason being one Samuel Eglington, a member of family of local builders.
3 Shown on Padleys Estate Map of 1818.
4 Pictured in Country Life Magazine in 1913.
Site location centred at SP 3090 5284.