Site of Moat at Bretts Hall
The site of a moat, a wide ditch which is thought to have surrounded Bretts Hall. It was constructed during the Medieval period and was situated 350m south east of Ansley Hall.
1 William of Hartshill, who died in 1261, gave lands in Ansley to William le Bret. This was afterwards known as the manor of Bretts Hall. Further information exists on the manor for the 13th century onwards. In about 1750 the house and most of the lands were enclosed in the park of Ansley Hall. The hall was then pulled down.
2 The moat remains and is divided into two parts; the NE part was enlarged some years ago, and carried round an adjacent piece of land to form an island on which a Chinese temple stood (PRN 158). The SW part was unaltered.
3 The field has now been ploughed over and at the time of visit no trace of the moat was visible.