Site of Enclosure 1km N of Chesterton Church
The site of an enclosure which is believed to date to the Medieval or Post Medieval period. Glass dating to the 17th century has been recovered from the site. It is located 900m north of the church, Chesterton.
1 Probably a Civil War work, although it has been thought to be Roman. The earthwork encloses 1 ha and consists of a rampart 0.9 to 1.2m high and 6m wide. The lodge to the Peyto mansion later occupied the site. The earthworks have been quarried for gravel.
2 A clump of trees about 91m square and surrounded by a bank. The clump was cut down in 1956 and the land ploughed so that the banks have been levelled out. Surface inspection produced pieces of 17th century bottle glass from the area of the clump.
3 Area ploughed flat. No surface indications.
4 Various air photographs.
5 Aerial photographs show a rectangular banked enclosure which was under plough in 1961. It appears to be aligned on ridge and furrow, which appears inside as well as outside the enclosure. The enclosure is presumably Medieval or Post Medieval. Traces exist of the gravel quarrying mentioned in reference 1.