Site of an 18th Century Gravel Pit
The site of a pit from which gravel was extracted in the Imperial period. There is documentary and aerial photographic evidence for its use and size. It was situated 200m south west of Barford Bridge.
1 In 1760 the north east corner of a field called The Park was made into a public gravel pit. In 1850 Gravel Pit Acre (see ref 3) was conveyed to the owner of the surrounding land, the pit being described as ‘long since exhausted’.
2 The gravel pit is shown on the Barford Inclosure Map of 1760.
3 On a map of c.1850 it is marked as Gravel Pit Acre.
4 The limits of the pit are visible on AP.