Possible Moat at Haye Farm, Studley.
A possible moat, a wide ditch usually surrounding a building. It was marked on a Tithe Award map of 1849, but very little still survives as an earthwork. It was of Medieval date, and is situated 100m north east of the church at Mappleborough Green.
1 W of ‘The Haigh’ (a 19th century house) are the remains of a homestead moat, consisting of the fairly broad S side, full of water, and parts of the E and W sides. Perhaps the site of the ‘Heyplace’ mentioned c1536.
2 Three ponds (including the OS ‘moat’) are adjacent to Haye Farm; they are water filled, form no coherent pattern or plan, and are not identifiable as a moat.
3 The 1849 Tithe Award Map shows three sides of a moat surrounding a rickyard, but very little of this survives today. The S arm is now a linear waterfilled pond, and the line of the former ‘moat’ can be traced on the SE side, but little remains of the NW extension. The interior would have been extensive enough to contain a substantial dwelling and outbuildings. The farm was known as Studley Hay in 1819, carrying on the name of the late Medieval manor. The triangular enclosure within the two joined arms of water is most clearly shown on the map of Moore’s estate.
6 Map of 1863.