Hardwick Deserted Medieval Settlement
The possible site of the Medieval deserted settlement of Hardwick. Documentary evidence shows that there were eleven people living here during the 13th century. The site lies 1km south west of Temple Herdewyke.
1 ‘There hath antiently been a chapel here, dedicated to S.Leonard, but now it is ruinous, the village being totally depopulated’
2 Hardwick was a member of the manor of Dassett. Some documentary evidence survives, and in 1185 and 1279 there were 11 tenants living there.
3 The site of the village was probably between Owlington and Marlborough Farms, but the site has attracted an army camp which makes further investigations impossible.
4 Site published at SP369515 presumably on the above authority, but air cover shows ridge and furrow markings here and in most of the surrounding area. No traces of desertion are visible on these photographs or on the ground.