Four Merestones Found South East of Stratford upon Avon

Description of this historic site

Four merestones or ownership markers which survive in Alveston Pasture. They date from the 19th century.

Notes about this historic site

1 Inscribed merestones or boundary markers of two types which still survive in woodland in Alveston pasture. The stones identify the ownership of four leys in Rucksley Gate Furlong, part of Bushey Quarter which was itself part of the medieval open field of Alveston Pasture. It was in multiple ownership until the 20th century. The leys were identified with permanent markers showing the owners’ initials or mark. These markers were probably wooden posts but map evidence of the 19th century suggests that stones or merestones were replacing posts. Three stones were erected by a Mr. J. C. Adkins at some time in the 30 years ending in 1872. The fourth stone was associated with an unidentifed owner using the initial L.
2 These surviving merestones are part of a more extensive system of similar posts arranged along access roads within Alveston Pasture, as marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map.

More from Alveston