Earthwork at the Bury, Offchurch
The site of an earthwork boundary ditch which is undated. It is marked on the Ordnance Survey maps of 1886 and 1906 as a cattle or deer fence. The site is situated 700m east of Newbold Comyn park.
1 Ditch of SW end based on river and at NE end on steep cliff over river. No bank visible on either lip. Ridge and furrow appears to run up to edge of ditch in places on both sides but not apparently across it. It is doubtful if this is a pre-Roman camp (promontory).
2 ?Ha-ha. On OS maps of 1887 and 1906 the feature is shown as a cattle and/or deer fence. It is also very poorly sited from a defensive point of view, being situated at the bottom of a reasonably steep slope. Where the two roads to Offchurch Bury cross it there are steel cattle-traps, surely the modern counterpart of the ditch.
3 Noted by Ordnance Survey.