Dismantled Tramway, Tredington
The line of a dismantled tramway dating to the Imperial period and marked on Ordnance Survey maps. It was originally a horse drawn tramway running between Moreton-in-the-Marsh and Stratford, with a later branch to Shipston.
1 Tramway shown on OS Map.
2 Dismantled tramway.
3 A horse-drawn tramway between Moreton-in-Marsh (SP 2032) and Stratford-upon-Avon (SP 2054) was opened 5th September 1826, and a branch to Shipston-on-Stour (SP 2541) was completed in February 1836. In 1889 the portion from Moreton-in-Marsh to Shipston-on-Stour was converted to a modern steam railway and the old remnant to Stratford-upon-Avon fell out of use about 1904. By the later 1950’s the Moreton to Shipston line had closed down and since then all the railway and tramway has been dismantled.