Deserted Post Med Settlement at Dassett Southend
The site of an area of Post Medieval deserted settlement. Scatters of tile and pottery were found at the site during a fieldwalking survey. The site lies between Temple Herdewyke and Little Dassett.
1 Fieldwalking to the S of the road revealed a number of dense scatters of rubble, tile and pottery across the W field known as Dovehouse Close. It is clear that there were buildings along this side of the road as well, although their arangement was different, being less regular and more widely spaced. It seems that occupation may have continued here after 1497; a coin of 1567 and a mid 16th century candlestick fragment came from one building group; and late 17th century material came from another at the W end.
3 Unidentified plaster object found during excavation in 1988.