The site of a trackway dating to the Early Medieval period. It is known from documentary evidence and is visible as an earthwork. It is located 600m south of Waddon Hill.
1 A greenway runs from Husbandman’s End, Shipston eastward to the River Stour which it crossed by Neal’s Ford (See WA 2120). On the east side of the River a hedgerow marks the line of the track as far as SP2640 in Barcheston parish. This may be the Ridgeway referred to in the charter of AD757-B183
2 In the Sawyer’s ‘Anglo Saxon Charters’ we read of the charter, number 55, dated AD 757, on page 236, and the following comments: Turner (1916) citing Stevenson -‘dubious’. Grundy (1928) and Finsberg – the early charters of the west midlands – 1961 -‘authentic’. It is most likely that this charter is pre-conquest and Sawyer suggests a date of late 10th century for it.
3 The lane was originally extended westwards by a driftway, the line of which can be traced by a line of trees between Shipston High School and its playing field as far west as SP2440.