Sheep Wash, The Green, Warmington
A sheep dip of unknown date. It is an L-shaped brick and stone structure and is situated adjacent to the village green at Warmington.
1 An L-shaped brick-lined sheep wash adjacent to the pond on the village Green, Warmington.
2 A watching brief was unable to recover any positive dating evidence for the Wash. The village pond, known locally as ‘The Pool’, which feeds the sheep wash is a grade two listed structure. The sheepwash (or washbrook as it is known locally) is not listed, although its structure bears remarkable similarities to the pool. Several episodes of repair and rebuilding were apparent in the structure prior to restoration works, with further repairs revealed during restoration.
The sheep wash went out of use around 1934 and in 1956 was partially backfilled with clay and a concrete base laid. This material was removed as part of the project
3 Fed by pond on village green. Pond fed by spring. Pond feds wash by pipe – closed by valve. Main wash area part-filled by concrete to a depth of 600mm. Wagon wash at south end of feed pond. Building materials 75% Horton Stone, 25% brick. Photograph plate 88.
4 Discussion regarding the final date of use for the sheep wash.