Mr William Phillips, 1840-1891, came to Rugby in 1871 as headmaster of St Matthew's School, when there were fewer than 100 boys. Of wide educational attainments, he was a member of Rugby Institute, (acting for some time as chairman) where he taught drawing, mathematics and physiology. He also took evening classes in connection with the Science and Art departments of his own school. At the time of his death there were 250 boys in the school. 1870
IMAGE LOCATION: (Rugby Library) PEOPLE IN PHOTO: Phillips, William, Phillips as a surname
Reference: T, B PHI, img: 7696
This image is subject to copyright restrictions. Please see our copyright statement
for further details.