Coton House, Churchover, front elevation and part of garden. 1900s
[The house was built by Abraham Grimes who succeeded to the Lordship of the Manor about 1787,on the site of a previous house which was in the Tudor style and which was demolished in 1784. From the Grimes family it passed to the Arkwrights in 1870 and then in 1889 to Mr Arthur James whose widow was the last private owner. Mr Arthur James died in London on 2nd May 1948 and in August 1948 the property was bought by the BTH Co. Ltd. for use as a student and apprentice hostel between 1948 and 1968. The Manorial rights date back to before the Conquest. A history of the Manor can be seen in the Victoria County History of Warwickshire. Vol.6 p.63.]
IMAGE LOCATION: (Warwickshire County Record Office)
Reference: PH, 352/49/5, img: 758
This image is subject to copyright restrictions. Please see our copyright statement
for further details.