Welford Upper (Old) Lock
The site of Welford Upper Lock, a chamber with wooden gates at each end, with sluices used to lower and raise the water level. It was situated on the River Avon, 200m west of St Peter's Church, Welford, and dates from the Post Medieval period.
1 This could be part of Sandys’ (1636) original work or a later lock built on the same site. The mill (WA1816) predates the navigation. In 1664 the move to improve the navigation probably involved building a 30 ton lock on this site. It was rectangular made of local lias in drystone style, 57 feet long and 13 feet wide with a lift of 6 feet 4 inches. No trace of the gates remain. The lock entrance was sealed with stone after the level of the main overflow weir was lowered by 1 foot in 1957.