War Memorial on London Road, Stretton on Dunsmore, near Rugby, Warwickshire
A First World War war memorial in the form of an obelisk. It is situated on London Road, north east of Stretton on Dunsmore at the junction of the A45 and B4455
1 War Memorial, on the A45 (London Road). This obelisk commemorates a review of troops performed at that spot in 1915 by George V and lists the prominent figures there who were about to go to war. It also indicates that the trees along the A45 were planted as the county’s tribute to the fallen of the war.
2 Described as 29th division column. Unveiled, 24th May 1921 (Empire Day), Lord Lieutenant of Warwickshire; dedicated by the Bishop of Coventry on the same day. Inscription: 6 o’clock face: here / in the centre of england / where telford’s coaching road / from london to holyhead / is crossed by the roman fosse way / on the 12th of march 1915 / his majesty king george v / reviewed his troops / of the immortal / xxix division / shortly before they enbarked / for active service / in gallipoli / in memory of their stay in warwickshire / 1914-15 and of their incomparable services / since the avenue on this road was replanted / and this monument erected by / inhabitants of the county. / xxixth division / order of battle on leaving england march 1915 /. 3 and 9 o’clock faces: (names and regiments)
3 Selected as a memorial site (as was Cyclists Memorial at Meriden) as being representative of the whole country (being in the centre of England) as well as for their particular associations. Portland Stone. As set out in the inscription quoted in 2 above, 19,000 men of the 29th Division sailed to join the Mediterannean Expeditionary Force following a review by King George V.
Obelisk commemorates the review although at the time people saw it as a memorial to those who fell. Many of the trees planted in 1740 had been blown down by a storm in 1912 and were replaced with limes in 1918. The memorial was originally on a mound flanked by captured German guns. The remodelling of the traffic junction in 1984 left it on the west side of a roundabout. The guns may have been removed during World War II or when the A45 was made a dual-carriageway. Information board by the A45 at the northwest corner of the junction.
Colour photograph of memorial p59. Black and white photograph of 1920s postcard of memorial flanked by pair of captured German guns (WCRO PH 3521/173/46) page 59. Colour photograph of memorial page 60.