Unitarian Chapel, High Street, Warwick
A Non Conformist Unitarian Chapel built in the Imperial period, with later additions and alterations. It is to the east of Westgate Close, Warwick.
1 VCH entry.
2 Nave of three bays with chancel extension at rear. Gabled end of ashlar facing the street.
4 A Presbyterian society was in existence by 1691, which became increasingly Unitarian in character after the mid 18th century. Prior to 1780 the meeting house stood on a site now enclosed within the grounds of the castle; it is described as a converted house, ‘an old building of timber in squares, plastered over, and whitewashed’. The present building was registered in 1781. The front and rear walls are of sandstone ashlar, the side walls of brick, and the roof, originally tiled, is now slated. A brick and tiled chancel was added in 1862-3. The interior (12m by 8.6m) has been much altered in the late 19th century and was refitted in 1983.
5 Photograph published in 1986.