The Harrow Inn, Shipston on Stour
The Harrow Inn, a former inn dating to the Post Medieval period. It is situated 100m north east of the Police Station .
1 Early 18th century rubble building with stone, slate roof. Two storeys, two good dormers.
2 A blue lias building in what was formerly called Shoemakers Street, Shipston. Is now considered to be a continuation of Sheep Street and The Harrow Inn (Now ‘Marguerites’, a haberdasher’s shop) is No 20.
3 As this former inn is now a shop it was found necessary in 1960 to convert the Listed Buildings List’s description “Grd. fl. d.h. sash and g. bars” to one large ground floor shop window.
4 Originally the building was a private house and the tall, narrow Cotswold date table on the front records this period. This inscribed Masonic diagram is to be found on the front wall of No 20 Sheep Street. It is symbolic of the solidarity of the four corners of the earth. When the house was converted for use as a public house, the diagram was taken for a rustic drawing of a harrow – hence the name of the inn.
5 Historic inn recorded on F White & Co.’s database showing it was in existence in 1874. Situated in the medieval area of the town.