Site of Windmill 200m NE of Avon Dassett Church
There is documentary evidence for a windmill in the parish from the 13th century. A Post Medieval windmill of the post mill type stood at this site, but was demolished in 1924. The location was 200m north east of the church.
1 On the hill above the church is the site of a windmill, no doubt the successor of the one mentioned in 1284, when a man eating his lunch in its shade was struck by the sail and killed. In addition a ‘milleward’ is mentioned in 1439.
2 Post mill. Built probably 17th century at Cropredy, Oxon; moved to Avon Dassett 18th century. Open trestled, tailpole, 4 common sails and extension at mill tail. Ceased working 1903 and pulled down 1924.