Site of stocks at Ilmington
The site of stocks, used for the retention and punishment of offenders, which are marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1886. They were situated to the southeast of the Howard Arms, but have now been relocated to Mary Arden's House, Wilmcote.
1 Stocks are marked on the OS 6″ map of 1886.
2 ” The stocks were situated on Stocks Bank at the north end of the village, and early in the 20th century their remains were found by a Stratford gentleman in the back garden of one of the cottages. He bought them for a small sum, took them to his own house in Stratford, and later gave them to the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust. They are now shown, but not labelled as to their origin, in the museum attached to Mary Arden’s house at Wilmcote.”
3 See MWA1586 for site of Stocks at Mary Arden’s House.