Site of Possible Holy Well to N of Church, Honiley.
The possible site of St Johns Well, a holy well, used for healing people during the Medieval period. The site is located 100m north of the church at Honiley.
1 A long extract from an alleged court roll of 1527 is included in Dugdale. It asserts that St John’s Well was a place of pilgrimage, ‘St John’s Bath’ and ‘Our Lady’s Bath’ being used respectively for the cleansing of male and female incontinent penitents.
3 There is still a slight issue of of water from the indicated site, but only scattered fragments of masonry remain.
4 There is a stone with a narrow artificial channel on one side on the site, but no evidence for a well except for marshy ground.
5 Site visit. Undated.
6 Plan of the village.