Site of Oratory 100m W of Church, Chadshunt.
The site of an Oratory, a private chapel, which dates to the Medieval period and stood in the church yard at Chadshunt. It appears to have been a place of pilgrimage in the Medieval period.
1 ‘And in the Chapell yard there hath been an ancient oratory, as the inhabitants report, in which the Image of S Chadde, whereunto Pilgrimages had wont to be made.’ In 1562 the offerings amounted to sixteen marks a year.
2 There was anciently an oratory in Chadshunt churchyard. After depositing their offerings the pilgrims resorted to the well of St Chad (PRN 753).
4 The exact location of the oratory is uncertain.