Site of Myton Deserted Medieval Settlement
The site of the Medieval deserted settlement of Myton which survives as an earthwork. The site is located to the south of Myton.
1 At Myton there was anciently a hamlet with a chapel of which Dugdale records that there is now no more left of it than a grove of elms in the place where the village stood. The remains of this grove of elms exist in a field termed Earl’s Meadow, where about 1853 an old well was discovered, which no doubt supplied the villagers (PRN 5523).
2 Listed by Rous.
3 Location unknown (U), period of desertion known, but documentary evidence inferior in quantity.
4 At the above grid reference are remains, which although very faint are typical of a deserted medieval village (DMV). They are not associated with the well or any remains of a grove but are topographically well-sited. The area has been much built over and no other evidence of the DMV has been discovered.
5 Grass covered field sloping gently down to meandering stream. Topographical situation and superficial appearance typical of DMV.