Site of Medieval and Post Medieval House by Chapel, Guy's Cliffe
The site of a Medieval and Post Medieval house on the current spot of Guy's Cliffe house. The buildings may be houses for chantry priests from the Medieval chapel close by.
1 A house beyond the chapel, which was still standing in Dugdale’s time, may have represented the dwelling, or dwellings, of the chantry priests. It was later rebuilt as Guy’s Cliffe House. In Dugdale’s time it was a two-storied building with gabled projections and a steeply-pitched roof. Soon after 1757 Samuel Greatheed built a new and larger house (PRN 5245).
2 A stone mullion window from Guy’s Cliffe reportedly in the fabric of a well in Lion House, Ansley (WA 9180).
3 Auctioneers’ sale particulars.
4 Sketch plan of the site.