Site of gallows
The site of gallows, a wooden structure from which criminals were executed by hanging. These gallows, which date to the Post Medieval period, are clearly marked on a map of 1760. The place-name Gallows Hill survives.
1 Gallows marked on Beighton’s map.
2 ‘Gallows Hill’ marked.
3 ‘Gallowe medowe’ 1585.
4 There is certainly no evidence of a gallows on either Beighton 1 or Greenwood and alll that survives onto the OS 1st edition is the name 2, which is clearly a place name of some antiquity 3. The original NGR was marginal so was moved to incorporate the evidence below.
5 The site is first drawn on a detailed map of Parts of Parishes of Warwick St Nicholas and Bishops Tachbrook (WRO CR1886/M21). The gallows appear to lie in an enclosure with a path leading directly towards them from Gallows Hill.
6 Gallows Street is so named in 1823, an earlier name being Warytre Streete in 1481, Warytree Street in 1610, Wary Street in 1654, Warrytree Street in 1656 (Dugdale) from the OE Wearg ‘felon’ and treow ‘tree’.
7 “Bending round to the left we are in Gallows Street, so called as being the way through which prisoners were taken or drawn to the gallows, and through which the bier from St. Nicholas went and returned with the bodies of those who had been executed.