Site of Deserted Medieval Settlement at Chadshunt
The site of a deserted settlement at Chadshunt which dates to the Medieval period. Earthworks of house platforms, enclosures and hollow ways were once visible. However, some of the earthworks represent houses and roads that were still in existence in 1839.
1 Deserted Medieval village site recognised and planned by C Dyer.
3 Extensive earthworks of the medieval village around the existing hamlet and Chadshunt House itself. These extend into to the field to the NE of Chadshunt House. A trial excavation was organised with the objective of establishing when or not buildings had existed here and if so what date they were. Two trenches were excavated. The archaeological evidence from the trenches consisted entirely of dumps of stone, clay and brick. There was no trace of structures as such. An 18th century date is likely for this activity. The dumping was presumably connected with strcutural alterations to the house and with the excavation of the large fishpong adjacent to the SE. The cropmarks remain unexplained but may possibly have resulted from drainage activity connected with the post medieval dumpimg.4 Noted.
5 The earthworks consist of a series of rectangular enclosures and platforms, divided by ditches and holloways. Originally the village must have extended to the E, but the earthworks have been removed by ploughing. The earthworks immediatedly to the NE of the Hall are probably modern garden features. There is much ridge and furrow to the N and W. In its heyday there were 22 or 23 households. It was a typical champion village of the Warwickshire Feldon, with a two-field system. Chadshunt was paired with Gaydon both belonging to the bishop of Coventry and Lichfield and lying in the same parish. These twin or double villages are found in the region notably in the neighbouring parish of Burton Dassett.
7 Some of the Deserted Medieval Village earthworks can be accounted for by structures and roads still present in 1839. In particular a road stretching from the crossroads, north-eastwards. Its final part is still represented by the narrow field between WA 754 and the church. The two ‘small’ mounds N of the B4451 immediately N of Corner Farm, were buildings in 1839.
9 Archaeological recording at Corner Farm carried out in advance of conversion and construction work. The complete absence of any archaeological finds are significant. Deposits suggest that the development site lay outside the main area of the medieval village. However it is possible that the construction of the former barn buildings may have truncated any surviving Medieval deposits.
10 Domesday survey. In Tremlow Hundred, [grid ref 3452 in Phillimore text].
(Land of Coventry Church) 5 hides. Land for 16 ploughs. In lordship 2; 6 slaves; 18 villagers and 12 smallholders with
8 ploughs. Meadow, 12 acres. Value before 1066 £6; later £3; now £7.
11 Ridge and furrow plotting of the parish
12 Polygon reduced 19/06/2006 as no visible remains of village in triangular field to the east of village.