Site of Cross at Junction of High St and Wood St, Stratford upon Avon.
The original site of a Medieval market cross for which there is documentary evidence from the 14th century. It was taken down in 1821, but a part of it remains in the garden of the Shakespeare Birthplace in Henley Street.
1 The first mention of a cross in the High Street is in 1381. In 1431 a new cross, the High Cross, was made. The name is certainly applied to the cross in the High Street in 1464. By 1478 a more substantial structure may have taken its place, for in that year the clock was transferred from the Clockhouse to the ‘High Cross’. The structure was depicted by Saunders and appears to be probably of 16th century origin. A new clock was provided in 1730.
2 The cross was pulled down in 1821, but part survives in the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust.
3 The site of the 16th century cross appears to be shown on Hnry Winter’s map of 1759 as 4 pillars at the east end of High Street, monument moved slightly to this position.