Site of Compton Verney Church
The site of a parish church built during the Medieval period and which was later used as a private chapel. It was demolished in 1772 when the lake at Compton Verney was extended and an obelisk marks the site of the graveyard.
1 The church is recorded in the time of King Stephen (1135-54) and in 1340 and 1535.
2 Although called a Parish Church in 1535, after the suppression of Warwick College in 1544 it seems to have become practically the private chapel of Compton Verney Hall, was allowed to fall into decay towards the end of the 18th century and was replaced by a new building.
3 The church was pulled down in 1772 when the lake was made. A view of the old church in Dugdale shows a small building with a W bell-turret and no external division between chancel and nave. A number of memorials from the old church are in the chapel.
4 On the edge of the lake is an obelisk which marks the site of the family graveyard, formerly attached to the chapel which was pulled down in 1772 and which was replaced by the chapel to the N of the house.
6 The drawing in Dugdale shows a lake and suggests that the chapel was demolished when an extension to the lake was constructed.