Site of Beacon on Beacon Hill
The site of a beacon, a structure on which a signal, usually a fire, could be placed. The beacon was in use during the Post Medieval period. It was situated on Beacon Hill, 1km south west of Upper Shuckburgh
1 The beacon that gave Beacon Hill its name was decayed early in the 17th century and in 1640 one of the chief constables of Knightlow Hundred was reimbursed by the county for providing a new one.
2 The top of Beacon Hill is covered with ridge and furrow and there is no trace of a beacon, either Medieval or later.