RAF Church Lawford
RAF Church Lawford, a Second World War airfield that was used for training instructors. The airfield was situated to the east of Dunsmore Heath.
1 Church Lawford was principally used as a training base for instructors.
2 Oblique air photo showing an unusual runway layout.
3 Pill boxes at airfield: two type 22 at SP45 72 and SP45 73 (latter demolished) and third ?Pickett-Hamilton type at SP45 73 over which aircraft could taxi.
4 Like neighbouring Bramcote it was planned as a bomber station, provided with three concrete runways covered with tarmac. Church Lawford was provided with ample hangarage, one large aircraft shed, six Bellmans and later ten Blisters. The airfield opened in Spring 1941, and just 18 days later, on 30th May, became home to the No 2 Central Flying School, training instructors. Detailed information.