Possible site for the Red Lion public house, High street, Kenilworth
Possible site for the historic Red Lion public house situated on the north side of the High street.
1 2 Possible site of the Red Lion public house, High street, Kenilworth.
Possible site of the historic Red Lion public house recorded on Pigot’s and Victuallers’ databases. The latter shows it in existence in 1813. Situated on the north side of the High street, within the medieval settlement.
3 Steward resports that the building still exists as a private dwelling but does not give an exact location. He records that a reference is made to it on 3rd August 1652 as the Justices of the Peace for Warwickshire met at the ‘Red Lyon at Kenelworth’. He goes on to say that the first licensee who can be definitely identified is found in the Register of Victuallers Recognizances; 1753 – 1828; Joseph Dencer from 1760 – 1785. By 1850 the Red Lion is not listed, and must be assumed closed.