Park at Baddesley Clinton Hall
A park at Baddesley Clinton Hall. It dates back to the Medieval period but incorporates later features, such as a Victorian lakeside walk. The park is located to the south west of Baddesley Clinton. Register review recommended by Lovie
1 Shaded area on the 1886 map representing a park belonging to Baddesley Clinton Hall.
2 There are no obvious park boundaries, although the area is now mainly pasture and in places does seem to include possible ridge and furrow.
3 Central garden, 0.2ha, and surrounding lawn, fields, orchard and woodland, 50 ha. Across the moat on S side of hall, a rectangular lawn. Woodland to N, NW and W, with a series of fishponds, dug in 1444, the largest having a Victorian lakeside walk. To SW a meadow with scattered fruit trees. Within the central quadrangle of the hall is a late 19th century formal design. This comprises four cylindrical yews along each of the two larger sides, enclosing a central area of lawn and bedding aligned on the gatehouse, with a rectangular bed to left and right. The central bedding represents the main charge of the Ferrers arms, 7 mascles, planted in the correct heraldic colours.
4 A watching brief carried out by Chris Currie in 1994 revealed what may have been substantial stone-built structures beyond the present forecourt. These may be the buildings shown on an estate map of 1699. The use of stone suggests they were not peasant properties, but well-built structures associated with the manor. The well-made cobbled surface suggests an adjoining yard, possibly a stable yard or demesne farm. They seem to have been replaced by the present outbuildings after 1700.
There appears to be evidence for substantial landscaping around the house in the late post-medieval period, with laying of drains and general levelling. A medieval mill appears to have disappeared between 1668 and 1699, with its former pond being reused within these landscaping schemes. This evidence, coupled with evidence for parkland-type plantings in the area known in 1699 and 1848 as The Park, suggests that there was far more extensive ornamental works being undertaken at Baddesley Clinton than has previously been credited.
A brick buttress located on the north side of the courtyard does not appear to be associated with the present stone wall, suggesting it may have been an earlier feature.
5 Lovie reported house as property of National Trust since 1980. At time of Lovie’s visit (1996/7) parkland to N agricultural. Formal garden to S recreated in early 20th century character but not to original plan; courtyard garden with heraldic design; lakeside walk restored; orchard.