Moated site at Budbrooke Deserted Medieval Settlement
The site of a Medieval moat, a wide ditch usually surrounding a building. It survives as an earthwork, and the interior is marked by ridge and furrow. It is situated to the south east of the church at Budbrooke.
1 1951: At the N end of the field is a ditch and bank which run across the field from E to W, the bank turning S for about 60m at the W end. 1961: Adjoining the church to the E are the remains of a pronounced ditch and outer bank. They form part of an approximate circle of sufficient size to enclose a homestead. This feature could not be positively identified as the remains of a moat.
2 Interior marked by strong ridge and furrow. Numerous fragments of a light grey shale, perforated for roofing, and two early pottery fragments, one with a green glaze.
3 This is clearly not a moat and is probably an ‘agricultural enclosure’. The ditch surrounding it is still c2m deep, but the external bank has been ploughed flat.
5 Definitely considered a Moated Sites Research Group (contra 3) and sketch surveyed (see reverse of card).
7 Much of the circumference survives, although the site is under plough. There are no signs of internal buildings and ridge and furrow fills the interior and the area to the W.
8 The moat is visible on LiDAR (EWA 9974). Copy in FI file.