Milverton Medieval Church
Documentary evidence suggests that a Medieval church at Milverton was replaced by the current church of St James.
1 The old church was a small building, apparently mainly of the 13th century, with chancel, nave with N aisle, and W tower. By the end of the 18th century the greater part of the tower had been removed and replaced by a timber framed tower with a pyramidal cap, and it is probable that the whole edifice was in poor condition. It was pulled down and completely rebuilt on the same site in 1879-80. The church is recorded in 1231, when it was a chapel of Leek Wootton.
2 Drawing of c1820.