Marton Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement of Marton, based on the first edition Ordnance Survey map.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ map of 1886, 34NE. The possible shrunken area 3159 is not included.
2 The Phillimore edition of the Domesday Book identifies Hill Morton as Marton, cf the note for reference 16,35, at the back of the book under ‘Places’ (there are no page nos).
Ref 16,35 in (Hill) Morton 1 1/2 hides. Merwin holds from him. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 1; 1 slave; 5 villagers and 6 smallholders with 3 ploughs. Meadow 12 acres. The value was 30s; later 25s; now 30s.
3 The 1886 map shows a village that follows the curve of the River Itchen. It looks organic, not planned. Most of the plots contain buildings, and there are only two small orchards.There is no sign of a boundary hedge. The church [WA3150] dates from the C13th, but the manor house is post medieval. The Domesday entry is confusing and seems to centre round the difference between Meretone and Mortone.
4Area expanded using HER lidar layer to include well preserved earthworks on West side of the village.