Market Cross, Dunchurch
The remains of a market cross. The base is Medieval but the cross shaft was replaced during the Imperial period. It stands in the centre of Dunchurch.
1 At the road junction in Dunchurch village is a cross with a square tapered shaft with an inscription stating that it was erected in 1813 as a milestone; the steps probably belong to an earlier cross.
2 In the vicinity of the church. Four octagonal steps with short circular stump resting on them. Stump surmounted by tapered stone which from little over a third of its height continues into a chamfered shaft forming an obelisk. Doubtful if anything but steps are original.
3 The obelisk stone occupies the site of an ancient cross, the graduated base of which was remaining at the end of the last century.
4 Scheduled as Warwickshire No 91.
5 Base and steps Medieval; upper part added 1813 as a milestone. Restored 1953. Sandstone ashlar.
6 OS card.
7 Scheduling information.
8 Scheduling reviewed and affirmed.