Lych Gate at Church of Saints Peter and Paul, Long Compton
A Lych Gate dating to the Post Medieval Period that now forms part of a building. It is located 50m south of the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, Long Compton.
1 The entrance to the churchyard at the SE corner is under a cottage dated to 1600. The original entrance to the church was further west.
2 Two storeyed, L-shaped, with a pitched roof, which forms a quasi lychgate. The upper north and south walls have some timber framing. The lower portions are of stone. The windows and doorcase are modern.
3 It is not certain whether the cottage was built with a cart house under from which the back wall was removed- or whether an entire ground floor had to be taken away.
4 In 1958-9 the owner took down and rebuilt the gabled east wall and chimney. The property is now in the possession of the church.
5 During excavation for new foundations, a human skeleton was recovered at a depth of three feet. The bones were later reburied in the churchyard.
6 Illustration in FI file.
7 Black and white photograph with some recent historical information.