Late 18th - 20th century buildings at 'The Woodman' former Public House, Priory Road, Warwick.

Description of this historic site

Late 18th - 20th century buildings at 'The Woodman' former Public House, Priory Road, Warwick.

Notes about this historic site

1 The excavation of foundation trenches for a new extension revealed foundations for buildings of later post-medieval date. These may have belonged to structures shown on maps as occupying the site in the late 18th and early 19th century. The line of a boundary running across the site, roughly on the lines of stone walling 139/140, 142, 121 appeared as a boundary by 1806 when the wall formed the rear of a stable house, and continued through the 19th century. A building with a stone-built cellar may have been constructed in the late 18th/ealry 19th century. The line of pit edge 105 and subsequently of foundation trench 106 suggested that the line of Priory Road had changed slightly, with buildings on the site of ‘The Woodman’ encroaching gradually to the north into the roadway. Evidence for brick buildings of the later 19th-20th century was also recorded. Construction work for the latest of these appeared to have involved stripping the site to c.0.5m below the currently level. This was likely to have destroyed any evidence for late medieval/early post-medieval buildings in the area.

More from Warwick
More from Building
More from Earthworks