Kings Grammar School, Warwick
Kings Grammar School, Warwick, was built in the Imperial period. The school has pre-Norman origins, and has been at various locations during its long history. The present building in Myton Road, occupied in 1879, has had additions and alterations made to the building.
1 Warwick School can be traced back at least as far as Edward the Confessor from a 12th century writ, and by analogy with other Saxon foundations, probably to 914 (associated with the church of All Saints) when Ethelflede established the burgh. From 1123, when All Saints merged with St Mary’s until the dissolution, the school was run by St Mary’s. Its earliest location is not known, but by the time of Rous in the 15th century, it is situated in the church of St John the Baptist “wyche stondythe yet in the Market Styd and is now the comon Scolehous for gramarians”. The church (WA 1955), was probably converted to a schoolhouse in 1369 when it was annexed to St Mary’s, and was still called “the Scolehouse in the Market” in an account roll of 1538-9. After the dissolution the school was purchased by the gild of the Holy Trinity and St George. In 1545 it was refounded by Henry VIII as “the kings new Scole of Warwick” and moved to the gildhall under the jurisdiction of the newly founded Corporation (see WA1926). Robert, Earl of Leicester, acquired the gildhall in 1571 for his hospital, offering to the corporation “the Chapel of St Peter founded above a gate called the east gate with a piece of wasteland between the chapel and the wall”, for the school. It is doubtful whether the transfer ever took place – the school was certainly not held over Eastgate in 1615 – and may have reverted to its old home in the Church of St John. In the late 17th century, St John’s perished and the school was set up in the College of Vicars Choral (see WA 2984), conveyed to the corporation in 1699. It remained at this site until 1879 when, as a result of the schools inquiry Commision, new school buildings were opened on the present site – a hide of land in Myton which had belonged to St Mary’s in 1085. The present building has a central tower flanked by and recessed between 2 smaller tower-like structures with bay windows and high pitched roofs. two wings extend east and west. At the far eastern end is the chapel and at the far western end is the headmasters house. There are classrooms and three houses each with a living room, dormitory and masters room. In 1886 a circuit pavillion was built; in 1888 a junior schoolhouse, in 1890 a gymnasium; in 1893 a new chapel. During the headship of Mr Keeling (1902-6) the studies, bathrooms and two new classrooms were added.
2 Complete history of Warwick School.