Icehouse in Castle Park, S of Castle Hill
The site of icehouses, structures built partially underground where ice was stored in warmer months. The icehouses were built in the Imperial period and were located in Castle Park, to the south of Castle Hill, Warwick.
1 In the 19th century icehouses were constructed here which remain in a good state of preservation. The preservation of the icehouses was recommended.
3 Beamon and Roaf report two adjacent, egg-shaped ice houses in the park at Warwick Castle about 250 yds (225 m) N of the Clock tower. Brick-built into the sandstone bedrock with about 10 ft (3 m) height above, and 20 ft (6 m) below ground. Diameter at entrance level is c. 30 ft (9 m). They were built in 1830 to store ice from the river Avon to the E for domestic needs of the castle.
Last payment record relating to the construction c. 1890 and the ice houses have subsequently been abandoned.
Beamon and Roaf comment that of the ancillary equipment, only the iron doors remain.
4Shown on 1854 Board of Health map