A natural cave in a cliff which has been enlarged by human activity. The cave is reported as being an Early Medieval Hermitage possibly occupied by Guy of Warwick. The cave is 400m south east of the Saxon Mill public house.
1 A small cave, perhaps partly natural but enlarged by the hand of man. This, in comparatively early times, was occupied by a hermit who may have been the actual Guy of Warwick. Cut on the back wall of the cave is a Saxon inscription which has been translated: ‘Cast out, thou Christ, from thy servant this burthen, Guhti’.
2 A small cave, known as Guy’s Cave, in the face of a sandstone cliff; the entrance is a small opening 13m from the base of the cliff. The cave originally appears to have been natural, is oval in shape and 2m high, 4m long and 2m at its widest part. The inscription is on the back wall opposite the entrance.
4 Rous asserts that St Dubricius chose the spot as a place of devotion and that in Saxon times a hermit lived in a cave there. A hermit was living there in 1334. The hermitage became the property of St Sepulchre’s Priory, but was given to the Earl of Warwick by 1422. In 1423 a chantry was founded on the site (see PRN 2232). Doubt has recently been cast on the supposed Saxon inscription.
5 There is doubt over the transcription and interpretation of the inscription and M Farr who visited the site was unable to recognise more than one or two letters.
6 Scheduled Monument Information.
7 Revised scheduling.