The site of a gate dating to the Medieval period known as 'Eastgate', which was one of three gateways into the town of Warwick. In the 15th century the Chapel of St Peter was built above the gate. It was altered and refaced in the 18th century.
1 The Eastgate was one of the three main gates of Warwick. Probably reconstructed in early 15th century, when the chapel of St Peter was built above it (PRN 1945). It has a wide arch spanning the original roadway and a smaller arch for pedestrians to the N. The gate was again altered and refaced in the late 18th century; it was probably at this time that the diversion to the S was constructed.
2 Built before 1426. Plain and heavy gate with pointed tunnel-vault.
5 SAM information.