Woodland mentioned in Medieval documentary sources with possible wood banks and ditches surviving as earthworks.
1 A map of 1766 shows an area of woodland far more extensive than the present wood. At that time it was divided into Great Munkes Hays, Little Munkes Hays, Little Matmakers and Great Matmakers and included an area called Marsh Vatt which is no longer woodland. The wood of Crattele might have included either or both of the areas called respectively Crackley Hill Closes and Crackley Heath Closes in 1766. Kenilworth Priory acquired part of the wood called Crattele in the first half of the 13th century.
2 Plan showing earthworks in field to the south east of the current wood. These are probably the remains of wood banks and drainage ditches from when the wood extended into this field.
3 Digital photographs of above.