Compton Verney House
A manor house which was built about 1780 by Robert Adams on the site of an earlier house. An archaeological evaluation at the house revealed the demolished walls of the 18th century service wings. It is situated 900m north west of Lodge Farm.
1 The present Compton Verney house was built about 1780. The house is a fine stone building in the Classic style erected by Robert Adam. The main front faces north east and is divided into five bays by Corinthian pilasters; it is flanked by long wings, making the plan half H-shaped. It occupies the site of an earlier house dating, in part, from the middle of the 15th century. This, of which Dugdale gives a view, seems to have been built around a courtyard, with gatehouse towers; its south east elevation had four projecting chimney stacks and ten gabled dormers.
2 The existing house is used as a weekend residence. It is in fairly good condition, some of the top floor windows are broken and paint is peeling off outside walls.
3 The house has recently been sold.
5 An archaeological evaluation of two sites at Compton Verney House, one just NW of the House, the other in the grounds SE of the lake, involved background research and trial trenching. N of the house no trace was found of the medieval manor house, although walls belonging to demolished 18th century service wings were revealed. In the grounds no evidence of the expected medieval village was found although the trenches contained two undated boundary banks and ditches and a probable 18th century field drain.
6 Historical study by S Brindle for English Heritage. Includes copies of cartographic and archival material.
7 Archaeological observation of construction works and service trenches for the Art Gallery extension to the NW of the mansion house recorded wall foundations and features relating to the 18th century service wings and outbuilding, recovering evidence for several structural phases. No trace of any Medieval structure was found.
8 Summary note of excavation in WMA.
9 A Post Medieval brick paved surface was revealed during groundworks near to the stable block.
10 Outbuildings of the Tudor manor house shown on a 17th century engraving.
11 In 1941 old masonry foundations were observed in a trench cut to make way for a sewer that ran to the lake. These may be the remains of the outbuilding noted in 10. Further foundation were noted at the same time between the bridge and the stable building but the exact location is unknown.
12 Undated newspaper cutting.
13 Observation of refurbishment phase 2 at Compton Verney, with some minor works occurring within the mansion house. A fireplace, pre-dating the one shown on Adam’s plan of 1761 was recorded in one of the first floor galleries. Original brick arches were recorded when the wood panelling was removed from some windows on the first floor. Original doors were also recorded in the older part of the house.