Church of St Giles, Chesterton
The Church of St Giles, originally built in the 12th century, modified in the 13th and perhaps the 14th centuries. The church is located 200m south west of Church Coppice.
1 Chancel, nave, W tower and S porch. Chancel of c1330, apparently lengthened later in the 14th century. 14th century nave, the N wall possibly incorporating earlier material, the S wall and the roof rebuilt in the late 15th century. S porch also of this date. W tower of c1600. Memorials in the nave to the Peyto family. Church restored1862. Richard the Forester, the Domesday tenant of the manor, founded the church.
2 Photograph of the exterior published in 1949.
3 A long, narrow and low church. N doorway probably early 13th century, most of the church early 14th century, W tower has top of c1600.
4 Church. 12th century origins. Early 13th century nave, chancel and tower, possibly lengthened late 14th century.
5 OS card.