Church of St Peter, Smite (Peter Hall), Combe Fields
The Medieval Church of St Peter. Parts of the church were incorporated into a later building during the Post Medieval period. It is situated at Peter Hall.
1 Peter Hall is a largely 18th century brick farmhouse incorporating the remains of the church of Smite, consisting of chancel, nave and S aisle, built of red sandstone ashlar, which survives to first floor level and in places up to the eaves. At the E end there are buttresses to the angles, and below the gable is the hood-mould of a destroyed square-headed window. On the N side there is a late 13th century doorway. The church is first recorded in the early-mid 12th century, when it was given to Kenilworth Priory. When Combe Abbey was founded the monks must have acquired the church from Kenilworth. In 1557-8 the fabric was still standing, with a cemetery attached to it, having presumably been used as a chapel served by the monks, until the dissolution of the Abbey, after which it was allowed to decay and was converted into the present house.
2 The farmhouse is as described above and is still occupied.
4 House. Converted from 14th century and 15th century church in 16th century. Late 18th century extensions.
5 This was the parish church belonging to the deserted medieval settlement of Smite.