Church of St Mary, Clifton upon Dunsmore
The Church of St Mary, a Medieval church that was largely restored during the Imperial period. The church is located on Church Street, Clifton upon Dunsmore.
1 Chancel, N vestry, nave, N and S aisles, W tower, and S porch. Stands on the highest ground in the village. The earliest remains, probably 12th century, are the masonry at the W end of the chancel S wall and a priest’s door. Chancel rebuilt and lengthened in the early 13th century, the present nave built about a century later. No indication of the existence of earlier aisles. In the 15th century the S aisle was rebuilt and widened, the N aisle re-roofed, and the clearstorey added. Tower probably 16th century, and had a spire, pulled down in 1639. Church repaired 1818, restored 1894 by G F Bodley. Plastered internally, much external stucco also.
5 Photographed in 1987.
6 During a building survey of the area around stucco from the Northern wall around an existing doorway ahead of the addition of an extension for a new toilet block. Around the doorway there is a change in the stone work which could suggest the outline of the porch as noted in 1865 ordinance survey map, also however it could also suggest that this doorway is a later insertion into the wall and the changing stone work represents the changing boundary between the new doorway and early wall .
7 The present south porch was built in memory of Colonel Fitzroy who died in 1892. There is an inscription stone in the porch.