Church of St Mary and All Saints, Walcote, Haselor.

Description of this historic site

The Parish Church of St Mary and All Saints which has its origins in the Medieval period. It is situated 300m south west of Walcote.

Notes about this historic site

1 Plan of the church. Chancel, nave, S aisle and porch and W tower.
2 Description. Apparently of C12 origin (founded by Henry I, 1100-35) and had a W tower; a S aisle with the arcade of three bays was added later in the century. Chancel rebuilt early C13, with a N chapel (and vestry?) which was subsequently destroyed, and the arcade walled up, perhaps in the C18. Before the mid C14 a S transeptal chapel was added to the chancel and the S aisle widened to range with it. Whether the nave had a N aisle is not evident as the N wall appears to have been entirely rebuilt when a small chamber was added to receive the vault-grave of a vicar who died in 1869. Bellchamber of tower added 1622. The church was restored in 1883 and 1892.
3 Pevsner entry.
5 Noted by Ordnance Survey.
6 Suggests hilltop position coupled with round-shaped churchyard (aerial perspective) indicates church built on a pagan shrine in Saxon times. Debate as to age of current building but the font is Norman. Claim that the north aisle existed but was demolished on safety grounds. In 1846 Vicar Cornelius Griffin reported extensive structural faults including irregular flooring owing to sunken burials, walls buckling and a bell falling. 1852 repairs made to walls and roof, the north wall was rebuilt and windows enlarged; also internal alterations including installation of present seating and removal of the gallery. Late C19 mortuary chapel added in the north wall, opposite the main entrance. Several gifts too were made by the local lady of the manor including the choir and clergy stalls, skirting, altar, pulpit and organ. The chancel gates, vestiges of the former medieval rood screen, were removed.

More from Haselor