Church of St Margaret, Hunningham
The Church of St Margaret was built during the Medieval period and has been drastically restored during the Imperial period. It is situated in Hunningham.
1 Chancel, nave, N aisle, vestry, S porch, and timber W bellcote. Dates from the latter part of the 13th century, when it consisted of nave and chancel, and appears to have been repaired at the end of the 14th century, and re-roofed at the end of the 16th century; in modern times a N aisle, vestry, and S porch were added and the whole church drastically restored. Late 14th century font. A chapel at Hunningham is recorded in the 12th century.
2 Drawing of c.1820.
3 Small and low, with a primitive weatherboarded bell-turret. The N aisle (of 1868-71) has a re-set doorway of c1200; very elementary.
5 Noted by Ordnance Survey.
6 Observation following the removal of two sections of pews and raised flooring over the south half of the nave revealed brick, dwarf supporting walls. The joists of the eastern section were oak, ?original, and probably contemporary with the ?late 19th century black and red tiled passages between the pews. Those in the western section were soft wood suggesting that this section had been replaced previously. The depth of the voids below the pew floors suggested that the original solid floor levels had been dug out to a depth of ?c.0.4m when the tile passages and pews were put in.