Church of St Leonard, Over Whitacre
The parish church of St. Leonard which was built during the Imperial period. It is situated on the north side of Over Whitacre.
1 Parish church built in 1766. Chancel, nave and W tower with spire, all of ashlar. Tower of 3 stages.
2 Earliest mention of a church is in 1203 and an illustration of this church (PRN 6089) is preserved in the Aylesford Collection.
4 Baroque and dramatic. Dated 1766, but it looks 1720. On stylistic grounds an attribution to William or David Hiorn has been suggested. The spire is an amendment of 1850, originally the tower ended in a dome.
5 Medieval nave incorporated in 18th century nave? Church on platform ontop of hill. Large earthwork feature in field N of church. Probably very good survival of below-floor deposits. Earlier deposits may be preserved under platform on which church is constructed.